Wednesday, March 21, 2007

How do I spell relief?

M E T H Y L P R E D N I S O L O N E

Otherwise known as Prednisone, a corticosteroid. Along with a shot in the butt and an antibiotic for the infection, the good doctor gave me Prednisone for my severe allergic reaction to the Poison Ivy.

(After some research, I do think it was Poison Ivy and not Poison Oak.)

After day 16 of my ordeal, I'm finally starting to get some relief. The infected, swollen elbow looks not-quite-normal but much better than it did. The itching is now limited to my arms and back, not ALL OVER EVERY INCH OF MY BODY like it has been.

I have actually slept through the night and can now wear short sleeves again without grossing out my co-workers.

I started the medication Saturday morning, and at first all I got was the side effects of the drugs (swollen joints, confusion, flushed complexion) without relief from the itching. After about four days, the side effects started to dwindle, and I have just now started feeling better.



So far, this little weed has cost me around $114...
Zanfel $70 (two 1 ounce tubes at $35 an ounce!)
Calagel $6
Dr. Visit co-pay $15
Prescriptions $17 (prednisone and antibiotic)
Loratadine tablets $6

Those little tubes of Zanfel are expensive, but worth it!

When I find a sufficient weed-killer, I will be going on a hunt to eradicate all Poison Ivy from my yard. It won't be pretty.

3 Comments:

At 8:35 PM, Blogger Pat Rutherford said...

I'm so glad you are better. I've been concerned about you and have gotten everybody to pray for you.
I love you, my wonderful son!
Mom

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Jim Lehman said...

My father-in-law swears by Roundup. According to him, that's the only effective solution for poison ivy or oak. I haven't tried it in my yard yet, but I will soon. Will let you know the outcome on my end.

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Steve Sisler said...

Glad to hear you're on the mend. That Zanfel product can do amazing things. The reason you kept itching for so long was because the oil was still on your skin and your body was still attacking it, even after taking the prednisone. Zanfel's mission is to remove the oil from your skin so you can begin to heal!

Please kep in mind that the oil in the plant is viable for up to 5 years after it leaves the plant. Yes, it can re-infect you.

Finally, the number one transfer point for sharing poison ivy is shoe laces, as most people wash their clothes but not their shoes! Once you retie your shoes you now have the oil on your hands and the potential to start the process all over again.

Have a great summer!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home