Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Losers Weepers...

When I was in kindergarten (Highland Park Elementary), Mrs. James was my teacher. It's funny, I can't remember any of my teacher's names all through school (including most of college), but I remember my kindergarten teacher. I only remember getting in trouble once that year, and Mrs. James had to smack my hand with a ruler. Can't remember what I did...

Anyway, at one point during the year, there was something school-related that my Mom had to pay for, and she gave me the money to do it. I had never even held a $20 bill before, much less been trusted with taking one to school. It was like a little paper treasure, and I had to keep it safe until the time came to turn it in. My parents were counting on me...

Needless to say, I lost it. When the time came to cough up the dough, it was nowhere to be found. I was terrified. I had been entrusted with something so big, and had failed. Not only that, but I knew my parents were going to be upset. We didn't have much, and losing $20 was a big deal. I just knew that severe consequences were in my future. I dreaded having to tell my Mom that I had lost the money, but I did. She was upset, but not angry. I still felt terrible...I'm pretty sure tears were involved.

Some time later, could have been a week or even several months, I found the money. I had a seldom-used blue plastic pencil pouch that had a few crayons and pencils in it. I think it had a picture of Mickey Mouse on it. On the outside was a smaller little pouch you were supposed to put change in. It had a little button to keep it closed. I hardly used this pouch, and I NEVER used the change holder, so imagine my surprise when I opened it and found that neatly-folded $20 bill! I guess I put it there for safe keeping, then promptly forgot about it.

I showed it to my Mom, and she was of course relieved. I guess I felt justified that I had finally found the money, but I certainly set a precedent for later in life...I still put things away for "safe keeping" and promptly forget where they are.

Such is life, I guess.

3 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Blogger michellenotdawn said...

Coming from his wife who has to help find all of these 'safely hidden' treasures...yep, he still does it!

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Christopher Bennage said...

At least you remember your own URL.

 
At 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coming from your mom who was so relieved when you found the money, I have to say you get it from me. If I put something up for safe-keeping, I'll find it months or even years later. I used to buy Christmas presents early and hide them. Couldn't find them when Christmas came around. I quit buying early. Christmas Eve is early enough for me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home